Sunday, September 2, 2007

Blog 1

This article reminds me of my own job experience, there are a number of times when different types of work can be done through an informal rather than a formal channel. This means that rather than using corporate work, one is able to get the work done by informally talking to friends either at the company or someone outside. In terms of the idea of the central person in a given contact, I would really consider myself to be the central person in my place as well as work. I work as a raining officer and on a daily basis; it is my central duty to act as the central communications person so all the people working with me has to interact with each other to know updates.
Just as the article talks about how performance management is related to one’s social contract and the amount of work done, I really believe that the goal for one should be to keep expanding the social contacts with the right people.

I also agree with the main points made in the article “Making Invisible Work Visible”. It’s indeed true that work tends to be done with more ease and also much more work done in a short period of time when there are less hierarchical levels as well as making it easy to coordinate work. This is the same scenario that happened in one of the departments that I worked for a couple of years ago. There were so many hierarchical levels in terms of the managerial level. Some of the hierarchical barriers were removed. This made it easy for the upper level management to be able to coordinate it with the lower level management.
What I want to stress in this blog is that companies should really put more emphasis on bringing more informality into the working place rather than simply asking everyone to follow the set procedures and guidelines. I have seen in the practical work environment that informal organizations really are able to achieve much more in terms of productivity than those companies that are very formal based. Such as goggle
“on my honor, all posts this blog are my own”

No comments: